12:00 p.m. - 1:15 p.m.
Colorado State Capitol
200 E. Colfax Ave.
Denver, CO 80203
Senate Committee Room (SCR) 357
Colorado Network to End Youth Homelessness (CONET)
Topic: The Plight of Youth who are Homeless
Colorado Network to End Youth Homelessness (CONET) seeks to educate legislators about the plight of youth who are homeless. Issues facing adults who are homeless are different than youth. These issues are often overlooked when housing is provided, but services are not.
- Claire Clurman, Attention Homes
- Kendall Rames, Urban Peak
- Guest Speaker
- Addressing the Issue of youth who are Experiencing Homelessness in Colorado Handout
- Missed Opportunities: Youth Homelessness in America Handout
Tennyson Center for Children
Topic: Surely, We Can Do Better – Smoothing Kids' Journeys through Child Welfare
Kids who enter the child welfare system overwhelmingly exit in pretty tough shape. And sadly we know this - unemployment, suicide, addiction, homelessness, joblessness and incarceration rates are disproportionately higher among adults who journeyed through the child welfare system than the general public. Most efforts to change "the system" suggests tweaks to existing practice when in fact some fundamental rethinking is needed. The presentation will focus on a handful of issues that, if radically rethought, might have a bigger impact in smoothing kids' journeys through child welfare and lead to better adult outcomes.
- Ned Breslin, President and CEO, Tennyson Center for Children
- Brandon Young, Chief Advancement Officer, Tennyson Center for Children
- Elizabeth O’Brodo, Vice President Campus Programs, Tennyson Center for Children